Wyoming, Iowa Tops List Of States With Most Hit and Runs
Some South Dakotans like to make jokes about Iowa drivers. Is it just friendly inter-state rivalry or might there be some validity to them?
In a recent study by Insurify, Iowa ranks second place in the country for the most hit and run incidents.
But wait, there's more. Nearly 17 percent of Iowa drivers have a speeding ticket on their record and around 3.5% have a DUI violation. Each of those percentages is good enough to earn a top 10 rank for all states in the country.
There is one state that is worse, Wyoming. Drivers with a prior hit and run violation are four times the national average and 40% higher than any other state.
Wyoming's vehicle-related fatality rate per 100,000 drivers is second only to Mississippi's.
South Dakota ranks near the middle of the pack.
- Drivers with a hit and run violation per 10,000 motorists: 13
- Percentage of drivers with a prior accident: 13.02%
- Vehicle-related fatalities per 100,000 drivers per year: 10.5
- Drivers with a hit and run violation per 10,000 motorists: 18
- Percentage of drivers with a prior accident: 11.92%
- Vehicle-related fatalities per 100,000 drivers per year: 21.2