South Dakota Ranks 12th in Identity Theft & Fraud
- South Dakota is 12th most overall vulnerable state for ID theft and fraud
- SD ranks number one in average loss amount due to online ID theft
- Check accounts frequently to spot suspicious activity
If you have ever been a victim of identity theft or credit card fraud, then you know that it's frustrating, to say the least.
A few years ago I used a credit card at a furniture store to buy a couch. When the bill came, I was surprised to learn that my card had been maxed out by someone who bought a bunch of stuff off the internet.
I dealt with the card company for about a month before they removed the charges. Since that experience, I check my credit card and bank accounts multiple times per week.
According to a new study by WalletHub, I wasn't the only South Dakotan who got ripped off. They rank South Dakota as the 12th most overall vulnerable state for identity theft and fraud.
While South Dakota ranks low in identity theft at 48th, we are tied for first in the highest average loss amount due to online ID theft.
South Dakota ranks 50th in the fewest fraud complaints, but we are 4th in the highest loss amount due to fraud.
WalletHub says some things you can do to limit your exposure to ID theft and fraud are:
- Emphasize Email Security
- Sign Up for Credit Monitoring
- Leverage Account Alerts & Update Contact Info
- Use Common Sense Online
- Check your accounts on a regular basis