Highest Rent in the Country is NOT in NY or LA. It’s Closer to Home.
It might come as a surprise, but the most expensive place to rent an apartment is not in New York City, Boston, Los Angeles, or Washington D.C.
It's a city with roughly 30,000 people in it.
Williston, North Dakota is a booming oil city and now has the highest average rent in the country. The Williston Herald says the average cost of a one-bedroom apartment is $2,394 per month. That is nearly $1,000 more per month than the cost of a one-bedroom apartment in New York.
The city is now working with contractors/developers to help with the cost of living.
According to the Apartment Renting Guide, the top ten cities for rent are:
1) Williston, N.D. ($2,394)
2) San Jose-Sunnyvale-Oakland-Fremont, Calif. ($1,881)
3) San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif. ($1,776)
4) Dickinson, N.D. ($1,733)
5) Key West, Fla. ($1,640)
6) Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H. ($1,537)
7) New York,-Northern New Jersery-Long Island, N.Y.-N.J.-Penn. ($1,504)
8) Los Angeles-Long-Beach-Santa Ana, Calif. ($1,411)
9) Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, Calif. ($1,387)
10) Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Goleta, Calif. ($1,346)
The Associated Press contributed to this article: Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.