The Wrap: This Week in Review
- After lots of back-and-forth drama, the House of Representatives finally voted on Tuesday night to approve the bill that'll stop us from going over the dreaded fiscal cliff. Earlier on Tuesday, the Senate easily approved the measure that maintains tax cuts on individuals who make less than $400,000 and couples earning less than $450,000, but raises rates on the rich. It also prevents large cuts of spending on defense and other government programs.
- And the first baby born in Sioux Falls in 2013 is... (drumroll...) Cohen Wescott! He was born at 3:36am New years morning and weighed in at 8 pounds 2 ounces. Mother and baby are doing fine.
- Thank you to our area High school marching bands for making us proud in front of a national audience New years Day.
Lincoln High School marching band marched in the Tournament of Roses Parade on New Years Day.
Brandon Valley marching band entertained at the Gator Bowl in Florida.
M.O.C. - Floyd Valley, Pride of the Dutchmen, also marched in the Tournament of Roses in Pasadena, Ca.
- Sioux Falls Police conducted a saturation patrol on New Years Eve to crack down on drunk drivers. As a result, over a dozen people spent the rest of the night in jail. Apparently the several "Don't Drink and Drive" campaigns and the free Tipsy Tow service didn't appeal to them.
- Pheasant hunting comes to a close this weekend in South Dakota. The rooster-shootin' season will officially come to a close at sundown Sunday, January 6th. Happy hunting!
- A South Dakota National Guard unit that has been training in Arkansas is set to deploy for Afghanistan. There is 124 member in this unit and it is based in Rapid City but also has a detachment in Sioux Falls. They are scheduled to depart in February. We wish the men and women of the 235th Military Police Company a safe trip and Godspeed on their mission.
- The Brandon Fire Department, South Dakota Highway Patrol,and other county emergency services all responded to a dust explosion at the Corson, SD. Feed Mill Friday morning. No injuries and little damage to structure reported.
- Now that's a bar brawl! A few more bar stools became available Moonlight Bar in Mitchell early New Year's Day when at least 14 patrons became involved in a large fight. Davison County officers responded after the brawl continued in the alley behind the bar. Apparently, bricks were used as weapons and 2 people spent the rest of the night in the hospital with serious injuries.
- The South Dakota Supreme Court has reversed the death sentence of Rodney Berget who pleaded guilty to the murder of a corrections officer at the South Dakota State Penitentiary. The court ruled that Berget’s statements during a competency hearing were improperly considered by the judge. Berget pleaded guilty to the murder of corrections officer Ronald R.J. Johnson during an escape attempt on April 12, 2011.
- The Viral video of the Week: This baby gets a lift on a Roomba and gives us the Heebie-Jeebies.
The Wrap is a great way to share news and events in Sioux Falls with friends and family. It’s always free and won’t end up in the snow blower at the end of the driveway.