This Iowa Restaurant Is One of the Top Steakhouses in U.S.
When a restaurant has been open for more than 100 years, you know they must be doing something right.
And so when the folks at Mashed set out to find the Best Steak Restaurants in the U.S., it's no surprise they included a Central Iowa legend on their exclusive list.
Northwestern Steakhouse in Mason City is one of just nine places in the country to make the cut.
This unassuming spot on the North edge of town was first opened by a pair of Greek immigrants in 1920, and those spices from Southern Europe help give the steaks a unique flavor.
According to Mashed:
'The antiquated brick storefront, which reads 'Northwestern Steakhouse, Established 1920', may not emanate the same allure as swanky, big-city hotspots ... but don't be fooled. Behind this humble, quiet rejection of flair and flash, the most buttery, melt-in-your-mouth beef awaits you.'
For meat lovers, the menu features filets, ribeyes, top sirloin, hamburger steak, New York cut steak, and prime rib (Weekends only), but there are also chicken and seafood dishes, as well as their signature Greek-style spaghetti.
BEST STEAK RESTAURANTS IN U.S. (Mashed)
- Northwestern Steakhouse - Mason City, Iowa
- Marble Room Steaks & Raw Bar - Cleveland, Ohio
- Bern's Steak House - Tampa, Florida
- Bastien's Restaurant - Denver, Colorado
- NanaSteak - Durham, North Carolina
- Five O'Clock Steakhouse - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Fogo de Chao - Various Locations
- Mercado Buenos Aires - Los Angeles, California
- Uncle Jack's Meat House - Duluth, Georgia