19 Tips For Driving in the South Dakota Snow
A few years ago the Minnehaha County Highway Department put together these winter driving tips.
They are pretty good. But, we have a couple to add to it.
Get our free mobile app
Winter Driving Tips from the Minnehaha County Highway Department
- If there is snow, slow down.
- Drive at an appropriate speed for the conditions
- Allow more time to arrive at your destination.
- Know the road conditions before traveling
- Remove snow and ice from all glass and lights
- Check your tires' tread and pressure
- Don't crowd the plow. Provide at least 5 car lengths and do not pass a snowplow when it is actively working.
- Do not use cruise control.
- Provide more stopping distance, and keep more space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
- Be mindful of black ice.
- Turn on your headlights.
- Drive defensively
- Never drive through "white-outs."
- Delay your trip until conditions improve.
- No texting while driving. But keep your cell phone handy in case of emergencies.
- Never leave your vehicle if stuck. Wait for help to arrive.
MORE: Why You Should Not Leave Your Windshield Wipers Up on Winter Days
I have a couple of winter driving tips to add to this...
- Don't be a selfish driver: Trying to race everyone to your destination in a city the size of Sioux Falls is only going to help you arrive 2 minutes earlier, tops. Drive with the mindset that you're going make room for everyone else and be courteous.
- Don't stop traffic to be nice: It's stupid to stop all of the cars behind you just to let someone out of a parking lot. You're just illegally stopping and making everyone behind you hate you.
- Don't drive someone else's car in a snowstorm: If you're going to get into a wreck, let them wreck their car. I almost spun out while driving a friend's car at 75 on the interstate when we hit some black ice with the cruise control on, a rear-wheel-drive car.
MORE FROM RESULTS TOWNSQUARE SIOUX FALLS:
A Survival Guide For Your First Winter in South Dakota
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and the rest of the Sioux Empire (AKA southeastern South Dakota) are welcoming thousands of new residents every year.
Many of you new folks will be experiencing your first eastern South Dakota winter. While it doesn't usually get as bad as our Dakota friends up north, I speak from experience when I say it can get a little rough.
So, to help ease you into winter in Sioux Falls and South Dakota here are some winter survival tips:
Do You Remember These 10 Crazy Snowstorms In South Dakota?
Here's some news that some South Dakotans prefer not to hear this time of year. Winter is coming. In denial? The dropping temperatures and early snowstorms out west by Deadwood speak for themselves.
Slowly but surely, people of the Sioux Empire are bracing for colder weather and snow-covered roads. Even though snow will soon be gracing the Sioux Empire with its presence, some snow showers will not compare to these ten dreadful snowstorms that hit South Dakota.
Only In Your State highlights these ten snowstorms in South Dakota as a reminder for people to always be aware of the roads during the winter. These South Dakotan winters can be harsh, which is why it is always a good idea to plan ahead and prepare for the worst.
Do you remember any major snowstorms that hit South Dakota?
2022 Winter Wonderland at Falls Park
A holiday tradition continues with Winter Wonderland at Falls Park in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.