Ways to Protect Yourself from Summer Heat Wave!
With the heat index values as high as 102 on Monday in the Sioux Falls area, here are some steps you can take to reduce your risk of heat stroke.
- Drink plenty of water and juices. Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Bathe or shower frequently using cool water.
- Avoid vigorous activity during the hottest part of the day.
- Wear a hat or use an umbrella when out in the sun.
- Use fans and air conditioners liberally. If none is available, keep shades down or curtains drawn during the day and windows open at night.
- Visit air-conditioned places such as shopping malls and libraries, but avoid overcrowded areas.
- And finally - do not leave kids (or pets) in a parked car.