The Wrap: This Week in Review
- The first bomb threat came into John Morrell packing plant in Sioux Falls by phone on the evening of January 2. There were three more similar calls made the next day. A Sioux Falls Police detective was hired and, after a brief investigation, a 22 year old man named Nathaniel Martin was arrested. Officials are calling it a case of a “disgruntled employee.” Maybe someone who really didn’t want to go into work. Either way, it’s a felony.
- Sioux Falls Police spent much of Monday investigating what they called a “suspicious death”. The house, which is located on E. 8th Street near Cliff Ave, was surrounded by police tape for most of the day. The deceased male has been identified as Crescencio “Chris” Conde-Vergas. Police have arrested 22 year old Robert Bass in connection with the killing. It will go down as the first homicide of 2013 in Sioux Falls.
- The numbers are in and Sioux Falls has added 2,500 new residents in 2012. The new population in the Sioux Falls metro is roughly 158,800. Our city has increased 24,000 just in the last 10 years. By comparison, Sioux City’s population was estimated to be 82,967 in 2011.
- High speeds and alcohol were factors in the fatal one vehicle accident in Sioux Falls Thursday night. The accident happened shortly after 10pm at Oak St. and Faris Avenue. The driver was killed and four others injured in the collision with a tree. Investigators have determined that the car was traveling of speeds up to 60 mph in the 25 mph zone.
- Huron was put on high alert and schools were locked down Tuesday morning as authorities searched for an escaped inmate from the Beadle County Correction Center. The public was asked to not approach Charles Beeny but rather call 911 if seen. And he was, in Sioux Falls, the same night, and was arrested thanks to alert citizens.
- Someone is buying the next round of beers. A winning Mega Millions lottery ticket sold in Lennox is worth $250,000! They matched all the white balls but missed the Mega-Ball. If all six numbers would have matched, it would have been worth $50 million or so. In another twist to this story, the winner, identified as Kenneth Lund of Luverne, Mn. mistakenly threw the ticket away and had to retrieve it from the garbage after believing it wasn’t a winner.
- In yet another lucky lottery story, a Dakota Cash ticket sold in Sioux falls for Wednesday night’s drawing yielded a jackpot. Someone will cash in on $149,141 from the SD Lottery office. The jackpot will now reset to $20,000 for the next drawing.
- Severe weather will impact traveling this weekend with a variety of elements. Snow, fog, rain, and drizzle. Winter Storm warnings are in effect for much of western and northern South Dakota. Keep informed of changing weather conditions and keep checking our winter radar. Dial 511 for the latest in road conditions and closings and check Safe Travel USA for road conditions.
- Dumb Criminal Alert: It was too cold Wednesday night. Much too cold to be whizzing outdoors. However, Sioux Falls Police responded to a call about an intoxicated male peeing his name in a snowbank. I wonder how far he got? Stay classy.
- The Viral Video of the Week: What happens when drive-thru workers see a car pull up to the window…without a driver? 10 million views this week can’t be wrong. It’s that funny.
Subscribe to KIKN-FM / Kickin’ 100.5 on
The Wrap is a great way to share news and events in Sioux Falls with friends and family. It’s always free and won’t end up in the snow blower at the end of the driveway.