Overtime, Upsets Highlight Day One of Combined Class AA Tournament
Three overtime games on the Class AA boys bracket, and upsets highlighted day one of the Class AA Combined State Tournament.
The 2/7 matchup on the opening day was played inside the Ice Arena in Rapid City and both 2nd seeds managed to go cold. The O'Gorman Lady Knights (7th seed) pulled off a 37-32 victory over city-rival Roosevelt to move to the championship semifinals. O'Gorman is now 12-11 overall on the season and will face Aberdeen Central (6th seed), while Roosevelt will play in the consolation bracket.
Brookings has been considered a favorite in Class AA boys all season long, but it was Aberdeen Central (7th seed) who spoiled the party. The Golden Eagles won 56-52 in overtime to advance forward.
The top seeded teams in the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center seemed to have better luck. Harrisburg girls continued their fantastic season with a 64-39 win over Pierre. The Tigers are now 22-1 overall.
It won't be easy to beat the O'Gorman Knights when they shoot 50% from the field, and they proved that on Thursday night. Led by JP Costillo's 24 points, O'Gorman (1st seed) beat Harrisburg (8th) 61-47 to move on to the semifinals.
In the night session it was Lincoln (5th seed) coming up with an overtime victory over Huron (4th seed) 56-47. The Patriots went on a 10-1 advantage in the overtime period to propel them to a championship semifinal contest against city rival O'Gorman.
Two overtime periods were necessary to separate Pierre and Rapid City Stevens, and again it was the lower seed moving on. Pierre (6th seed) pulled off the incredible victory on a last second shot to win 76-75.
After a crazy day on Thursday we turn our attention to Friday afternoon.
Schedule for Friday, March 17
- 11:00 MT: (2) Roosevelt vs. (3) Brandon Valley- Ice Arena (Girls)
- 11:00 MT: (8) Pierre vs. (5) Rapid City Stevens - Rushmore Plaza Civic Center (Girls)
- 12:45 MT: (8) Harrisburg vs. (4) Huron - Ice Arena (Boys)
- 12:45 MT: (2) Brookings vs. (3) RC Stevens (Boys)
- 3:00 MT: (1) Harrisburg vs. (4) Rapid City Central (Girls)
- 4:45 MT: (1) O'Gorman vs. (5) Lincoln (Boys)
- 6:30 MT: (7) O'Gorman vs. (6) Aberdeen Central (Girls)
- 8:15 MT: (7) Aberdeen Central vs. (6) Pierre (Boys)
*Bolded games will be aired on ESPN 99.1 and ESPN991.com