New App Helps You Stay Safe During Tornado Season
The American Red Cross is looking to help residents of South Dakota and around the country stay safe as the severe weather season approaches. The organization is launching a tornado warning and alert app for the iPhone and Android systems.
According to Kevin Thelen, the Regional Development Director of the Eastern South Dakota Region of the American Red Cross, the app is designed to alert you whenever there is a tornado in the area.
“The nice thing about it is it will follow you. If you have kids traveling down in Kansas you can follow the zip code or the area that they are in.”
Kevin Thelen, the Regional Development Director of the Eastern South Dakota Region of the American Red Cross
The app is designed to give off an “audible siren that automatically goes off even if app is closed when NOAA issues a tornado warning, helping to reduce the chance of sleeping through an actual warning.”
The app will tell you when a tornado clears your area and when it is safe.
The app also takes advantage of social media. It provides an “I Am Safe” button that allows you to push out a message to Facebook and Twitter alerting family and friends that you are unhurt in the case of a tornado in your area.
The app is available in the App story for iPhone and in the Google Market for Android phones.
Also, during the week of April 22 – 26, the American Red Cross is conducting its annual Dine for Disaster’ where local restaurants agree to provide a portion of the cost of your meal to the organization. Locally, 37 restaurants are participating, including both Applebees locations, all Arby’s locations, Cherry Berry and the Carnaval Brazilian Grill.
List of Locations & Dates:
- Brandon Pizza Ranch (4/25)
- Canton Laurie’s Café All week)
- Dell Rapids Pizza Ranch (4/29)
- Flandreau Corner Café (All week)
- Flandreau John’s Café (All week)
- Parker Charlie’s Drive Inn (All week)
- Parker Home Place (All week)=
- Madison Second St Dinner (4/23)=
- Madison Pizza Ranch (4/24)=
- Madison Skippers (4/25)=
- Applebee’s (Both locations) (4/23)=
- Arby’s (All locations, (All week)=
- Callaway’s (All week)=
- Carnival Brazilian Grill (All week)=
- Cherry Berry (Both locations, All week)=
- Crack’d Pot Restaurant & Bakery (4/22 & 4/24)=
- Foley’s (All week)=
- Fry’n Pan Restaurants (both locations, All week)=
- Fuddruckers (All week)
- Substation (All week)
- HyVee (All locations) donation of .05 for cup of coffee purchased
- Pizza Ranch (10th St location) (4/25)
- Skelly’s Pub (All week)
- Sneaky’s Chicken (All week)
- Steak Out (All week)
- THATZZA PIZZA (4/25)
- Tre (All Week)
Call 605-336-2448 if you have any questions on time and dates of each location.