My Vacation: By the Numbers [PHOTOS]
Dan’s family vacation by the numbers:
- 9 – number of roller coaster rides
- 994 – miles in a mini van with 3 kids
- 5 – number of times I said, “Kids, if I have to pull this van over…”
- 26 – number of times mom said, “We JUST stopped to pee 10 minutes ago!”
- 7 – the average number of miles between kids asking, “are we there yet?”
- 3 – number of water parks
- 4 – number of hotels
- 9 – number of times the kids argued about who gets to push the elevator button.
- 6 - number of beers Heather and I drank after arriving home.
If your numbers look like this after a family road-trip, congratulations! You won the coveted ‘Griz Award’. Named after Clark Griswold in the ‘National Lampoon’s Vacation’ movies.
Yes, our family road trip this year was definitely adventure-filled. The trusty white minivan, which is as aerodynamic as a breadbox and just as much fun, took us to Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo.
We saw many amazing animals and exhibits. My son Noah even got into a staring match with a 800 lb. gorilla. My boy won.
My daughter, Elliana, found many new friends at the petting zoo. We spent much of the afternoon there. Some of the goats even fell asleep while we waited…and waited…
From there we went to a new exhibit called Dinosaurs Alive! I wonder if my family knew there was a prehistoric beast behind them…
The Henry Doorly Zoo was one of our favorite stops. But Coco Keys Waterpark was waiting a little further south. So we left early in the morning for Kansas City. We spent the entire afternoon and evening on the water slides, lazy rivers, and tubes.
The next day, we arrived at Worlds of Fun. We rode many thrill rides and dad, yes…me…rode an extreme stand-up roller coaster where you are thrown for loops and twists at high speeds. I screamed and my 8-year old laughed the whole way.
This is called the Patriot, and it’s not for the weak. Yes…I rode that.
So, there it is. Our family vacation. I hope you enjoyed and good luck on your next family road trip!