Fire Breaks Out at the Macy’s in the Empire Mall. Mattress Pad Source of Blaze.
Five fire trucks and twenty one firefighters reported to a hot spot that got too hot. Luckily no one was injured, but it caused quite a scare with many shoppers.
Wednesday afternoon at approximately 2:09 p.m., Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded to a reported structure fire at The Empire Mall Macy’s. First arriving crews found moderate smoke inside.
Crews investigated the store and found a burning mattress pad. Macy’s personnel initially knocked the fire down with a fire extinguisher.
Fire personnel extinguished and removed the mattress pad. Fire crews evacuated remaining shoppers from the store.
Due to the moderate smoke inside the facility, police blocked the entrances to prevent shoppers from entering until the smoke could be removed.
The smoke was completely removed in just over an hour. All store personnel and shoppers were allowed back in the structure at 3:18 p.m.
Like me, you are wondering how a mattress pad caught on fire at Macy’s. The cause of the fire was material pushed up against a florescent light.
Source: Battalion Chief Steve Brunette