Fire Damages Sioux Falls Townhouse
Neighbors reported the fire in a townhouse at 814 N. Cleveland Avenue shortly before 1:00 p.m. Monday afternoon. They saw smoke coming from the building and when they checked through the windows, they saw dark smoke throughout the residence.
Units responding to the structure at the Woodland Hills Apartment Complex found a locked, unoccupied home with smoke coming from the eaves. Firefighters made entry and extinguished a kitchen fire that originated on the stove top.
No firefighters or civilians were injured, but the five person family who lived there was displaced until repairs could be made. The building did not have a fire sprinkler protection system.
Investigators determined that a burner had been left on while the occupants were out of the home and that this was the cause of the fire.